Judging from the number of projects on display, the members of the San Diego Modern Quilt Guild have been spending a lot of time in their sewing studios, so we were glad so many of you could tear yourselves away for the June 8 guild meeting!
First the Business:
1) The membership cards and pins for those who joined in the 1st quarter are in and will be available at the next meeting. The 2nd quarter joiners should get theirs in a couple of months.
2) Demo Volunteers are needed! If you've recently learned a new skill, or if you've perfected an old one, we'd love to share in your know-how. You don't have to be an expert or an experienced teacher, just be willing to give a ~10 minute demonstration at a future meeting. Demonstrators will receive a QIAD gift certificate for their trouble. Contact Chris if you are interested.
3) If you are interested in the Angela Walters Trunk Show and Modern Quilting Class on August 2 or the hands-on Longarm Class on August 1, don't delay. Members should have received an Eventbrite e-mail invitation around May 1 with registration info, but if you deleted yours, there is more info at the links above. We will open registration to non-members on June 15.
4) Are you interested in entering the San Diego Quilt Show? The registration deadline is July 1. The show will be at the convention center September 4-6. Let's show them what our kind of modern quilting is all about!
5) QuiltCon 2015 is fast approaching. Some Important dates to keep in mind: Member registration begins June 24. The best workshops sell out fast, so plan your attack and be ready at your computer as soon as possible. Entries for the Quilt Show will be accepted starting July 1 through November 30. Don't be shy! They can't accept you if you don't enter!
6) The Michael Miller Fabric Challenge deadline has been extended to July 25. You must have a photo of your finished project uploaded to the Fabric Challenge Forum on the MQG website by then. We saw a few projects during Sew-n-Tell, and hope to see more at the July 13 meeting!
7) The Vintage Quilt Revival Sew-Along will begin in July. Also in July, we will be doing a swap of Low-Volume fat quarters. Get a yard of your favorite modern low-volume fabric, cut it into FQs, save one for yourself and bring the other three in for swapping. We'll do a blind draw, so everyone will get three new FQs to add to their stash.
8) Our annual Beach Day will be August 23, one week before Labor Day Weekend. Watch this space for more details.
Next, the Community Projects:
SDBee: We collected Patti's Converging Corners blocks and Deb's Blue Wonky Stars, and Grace distributed fabrics for slice and inset blocks, which will be due in August. Marisa will wrap up this round of the bee in July, so we'll be signing up for the next round very soon. New participants are always welcome!
Charity Quilts: the Return of the Wonky Star blocks will be due in July, when we'll ask for volunteers to provide piecing, backing, batting, quilting, and binding. We also had a number of finished and nearly-finished charity quilts on display at the meeting - I can't believe how productive this group has been recently!
For our Demonstration, Nancy talked about her approach to color in her quilt designs. Some useful websites she recommends are munsell.com and www.colourlovers.com for designing palettes. She showed us how she uses a collage book for inspiration, and how an unexpected accent fabric can really make a quilt sparkle. She brought examples of her own quilts (including the wonderful value quilt up top) to show how her color philosophy has evolved over the years.
And finally, we had an epic Sew-n-Tell! So many wonderful creations that they barely all fit on our Group Flickr Page. Thank goodness they upped their storage limit to 1 Tb! Please go there and check them all out.
Our next meeting is Sunday July 13, at 11:00 am a Quilt in a Day. Hope to see you then!