We were delighted to see so many new faces at the August 10 SDMQG meeting, especially some who drove quite far to see us!
If you couldn't be there, here's what you missed:
1) Beach Day is August 23. Families are welcome, but leave the sewing machine at home! Meet up near the playground at La Jolla Shores at 11:00am. A public parking lot is available, but it fills up early. Bring your own refreshments, handwork, sunscreen, whatever you need for a great San Diego day in the sun!
2) The San Diego Quilt Show is September 4-6. Those of you who entered quilts, be sure to have them finished by the drop-off deadline! For North County folks, that's Sunday August 24, and southern-county folks have until Labor Day, September 1. Drop-off times and locations are in the link.
No swap at the August meeting, but lots of fun swaps coming up:
September 14 meeting - Pillow Covers. Make a quilted pillow cover to fit a standard 14", 16" or 18" square pillow form. Any style, any closure method. You don't need to bring a pillow insert with it.
October 12 meeting - Dot Charm swap. We'll be swapping 5" squares of any dotted fabric. Demure or bold, pick your favorite style. There will be a sign-up in advance, and we'll ask you to bring 2 charms for each participant.
November 9 meeting - return of the Scrap Swap! Start culling your scrap basket now!
1) SDBee - Time to finish up the blocks for Grace and Marisa, and decide whether you want to sign up for Round 3. There are still a few spaces left!
2) Charity Quilts - Our Wonky Star quilts are coming along nicely. Theresa pieced this fabulous top, and handed it off to Carrie for Quilting. Susan K is still working on the second Wonky Star top.
3) QuiltCon Charity Challenge - Unlike the block challenge last time, this year's challenge asks each guild to create a completed quilt using a predetermined color palette and alternate grid work design. We need your ideas! More details and discussion on our Flickr page.
4) Vintage Quilt Revival QAL - Find the monthly blocks and post your progress photos on the Quilt-Along Page. The first two blocks are Double Z and Dakota Star!
Sew-and Tell - Many wonderful projects both large and small were shared and can be seen in our Guild Pool. We were especially impressed by Katherine, who drove all the way from Palm Springs to show us her Marimekko quilt. Great to see another veteran quilter exploring the Modern side!
Then it was on to the Sew-In, where we had a Pin-Basting Party! Wow, does that go so much faster when you have help!
Hope to see you at the Beach Day or the SD Quilt Show, but if not, please join us for our next guild meeting, on Sunday September 14, at 11:00 am at Quilt in a Day. We'll be swapping pillow covers, have a demo on zippers, and just maybe comparing Quilt Show ribbons! ;)