|Sammy contemplates his human's pillow swap prize|
1) Membership cards and pins for new members should be here soon. We no longer have to wait 3 months for them to come in.
2) We're adding members' shops and blogs to the blogroll to the right. Let us know if you have a link to add. Shop local!
3) Board elections will be in November. If you are interested in getting more involved in the guild, we will start taking nominations/volunteers at the October 12 guild meeting for the offices of President, VP of Activities VP of Operations, Secretary, and Treasurer. We could also use a new Charity Coordinator.
4) Speaking of elections, The Modern Quilt Guild is taking applications for a Region 1 representative (covering AK, AZ, CA, HI, NV, OR, UT, WA). Our own Sandi Sawa Hazlewood is the current representative. Applications are due Oct. 15. Request an application here.
5) Membership Survey results are still being processed. There was some interest in having regional activities so that South and East County folks wouldn't have so far to drive every time. We are looking for volunteers to be regional directors and plan local activities on an occasional basis. With that in mind, we are considering a Balboa Park Meet-Up for mid October. Stay tuned for details!
On the Road:
1) Our own Susan Kephart will be giving a presentation on Modern Quilting to the Chula Vista Quilter's Guild on October 8 at 7:00 pm, using quilts made by several fabulously talented SDMQG members. If you're in the area, come and offer moral support. Otherwise, help her compile a list of Modern Quilting Resources to share with our CVQG friends.
2) The first ever Quiltfest Oasis Palm Springs is the weekend of October 2-4. Or if that's too far, the Temecula Outdoor Quilt Show is also October 4. Take a long weekend and hit both!
3) But if you're trying to save gas, why not register for The Sewing Party on November 8? This online craft festival will feature classes on Quilting, DIY fashion, home decor, and much more! And you have 90 days after the event to stream whatever classes you like. Use promo code HV97248 if you do register.
We decided on a concept for the QuiltCon Charity Challenge - Random Chevrons, and distributed fabric kits for "blocks". Thanks to Carrie for providing the fabric at cost! We will collect the "blocks" at the October 12 meeting and use the Sew-In time to assemble the top. More info on the Flickr link.
We wrapped up Round 2 by collecting blocks for Marisa and Grace. There are a few slots left for Round 3, but they are going fast! Sign up on Flickr, and Jen will start us off in October.
This time, we swapped pillow covers, to the delight of our feline associates, as seen above.
At the October 12 meeting, we will be swapping 5" Polka Dot Charm Squares. Sign up at the Flickr link by September 30 so we can determine how many squares each one of us needs to bring.
The November 9 meeting will see the return of the ever-popular Scrap Swap. Scraps and unwanted yardage will be welcome. More details to come.
And finally, the December 14 meeting will feature a zipper-pouch swap. Make a (non-seasonal, please) zipper pouch, and bring it with a small (<$10 worth) gift inside, and we'll swap at our year-end potluck party.
Both Marisa and Deb gave quick presentations on tricks to make inserting zippers in your projects easier. Wonder tape actually lives up to its name!
Many wonderful projects both large and small were shared and can be seen in our Flickr Pool. Seems like half of them featured quilting techniques from the Angela Walters class last month! We were delighted to have first-time visitors like Suzanne and Maho share their projects this time, and it was great to see how Lori has mastered free-motion quilting in such a short time.
Go check out all the projects and let their creators know how much you like them!
The folks participating in the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilt Along met to show their blocks and and share sewing tips. Check out the schedule to see which blocks are up next. There are going to be some amazing quilts coming out at the end of the QAL!
That's it until our next meeting, Sunday, October 12, at 11:00 am at Quilt in a Day. Hope to see you then!