The Dog Days of Summer will be starting soon, and for those who made it to the July 13 SDMQG meeting, Alison's demo on paper piecing (and her adorable puppies) provided lots of inspiration for the coming hot weather.
Here's what else happened this month:
1) Please respond to the membership survey by July 20. This will help us design future guild activities to meet your needs and interests!
2) If you are participating in the Michael Miller fabric challenge, you have until July 25 to upload a photo of your finished project to the Fabric Challenge Forum on the MQG website. (You need a registered account to view the page. Dues-paying members should have access.) Winners will be announced August 1. If you can, please also post a photo on the SDMQG Flickr page so we can all see your wonderful work.
3) Don't forget the Angela Walters visit on August 2! Spots are still available for both the trunk show and machine quilting class. Registration is available to all at this link.
4) Our annual Beach Day at La Jolla Shores is planned for August 23. Families are welcome, but maybe leave your good sewing machine at home - sand is terrible for the gears! More details to come.
5) Carol from the Village Quilters Guild stopped by to fill us in on some of their upcoming speakers: Christine Barnes will be speaking on Magic Fabrics Nov. 8; our own Julie Herman will give a trunk show on January 10, 2015; and Jake Finch of Generation Q will be speaking on April 11, 2015. They meet at the Scripps Ranch Library on the second Saturday of each month, and guests can attend any of their events for only $5.
Swaps: After our July swap of low-volume fat quarters, we're going to take August off so you'll have time to get an early start on our next swap - pillow covers! Make a cover for a 14" to 20" square pillow, and bring it to swap at the September 14 meeting. Pillow form not required.
Bees and QAL:
1) Round 2 of the SDBee will wrap up with Marisa's Modern purple/turquoise/lime green blocks, due by the September 14 meeting. Grace's Slice and Insert Blocks will be due at the August 10th meeting. Deb's Blue Wonky Stars were due at the July meeting, so if you haven't finished, better get cracking!
2) Round 3 of the SDBee is now accepting sign-ups. In return for making a block for one of the other bee members each month, you get a month to tell them all what to make for you! Indicate your interest here.
3) If a bee's not your thing (or not enough for you), have you considered the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilt Along? We'll be kicking off the QAL with the Double Z and Dakota Star blocks. You only have to make blocks for yourself, but you get to share in the experience with the other QAL participants.
The Wonky House Quilt is finished, and we collected enough Wonky Star blocks to make (at least) two twin quilts! Susan K. will finish one of them; Theresa M. will piece the other top, Carrie will quilt it (if we baste it for her), and Susan M. will take on the binding. We'll have a new charity improv challenge in the Fall.
We tried something new this month, and held our Sew-n-Tell in the QID classroom/studio area. So many wonderful projects were shown, including some by our junior associates! Check out our Guild Flickr pool for a taste.
(Photographer's note: Maybe it was the lighting in the new room, but some of the best quilts didn't photograph well. I especially regret not having a good photo of Sue B's Modern Migration quilt and Chris's Shanghai Red quilt top. Ladies, please post your own photos so everyone can see how great they were!)
That's all for July! Our next guild meeting is Sunday, August 10, at 11:00 am at Quilt in a Day. Hope to see you there!